Physics laboratory is a place where experiments of Physics are carried out. As we know physics is that branch of science where experimentation is an integral part of the core subject. Almost in every educational institution these physics laboratories are found. Nonetheless the sophistication of the educational laboratory varies from institute to institute.
One can see that Physics is a vast subject engulfing various disciplines in it and at school level a student is taught fundamentals of all these disciplines. In each of it there is multitude of experiments to be performed at school level.
There is a wide range of physics laboratory equipments from the common ones like magnets, pulleys, pendulums, inclined planes, heat lamps, beakers, lenses, glasses, tuning forks, item scales etc to sophisticated ones like spectroscopes, microscopes, electromagnets, voltammeter, potentiometer, etc.
Purpose or the importance of Physics Laboratory:
A Physics lab aids a student in establishing the relevance of the theory learnt at classroom level. It brings clarity in the mind of the students regarding the basic concept of the subject.
Students understand the difference between theory and application. Physics laboratory helps a student in improvising their approach towards the subject.
Experiments carried out in Physics laboratories helps students in learning how to be patient and careful while taking observation and hitherto calculating inference.
Research is everything in science without research science would get stagnated and it is here in Physics lab that a student learns what it is to be a researcher. What are the attributes of a researcher which they need to inculcate? These questions hovering over students mind gets answered in a Physics educational lab.
There are different procedures of different experiments in Physics and then there are some basic behavioral rules in a laboratory. A student of Physics needs to be aware of all this. And working in a school physics laboratory actually puts a fundamental slab for them.
Function of a Physics laboratory:
Broadly the functions of Physics Laboratory are determined according to the needs of the science industry.
At schools, the laboratory is aimed in enabling students to learn physics theories in a more elaborative manner with the involvement of its application. The experiments carried out are mostly the ones in coherence with the curriculum.
When the institute is for higher studies whether governmental or non- governmental, therewith, the objective is to carry out researches and studies relevant to the contemporary industry of science. While carrying out the research the researcher needs to apprehend to the commercial perspective of the study for making it viable.
At AJC School, the Physics labs function meticulously with the collective co-operation from students, the teaching cum non-teaching faculties and the management according to the norms put forth by the board of education. Our budding student professionals carry out the experiments due at Physics lab adhering to the rules, regulations and precautionary measures brought to their knowledge, aiding in smooth functioning of the lab routines.
Here are a handful of the lab safety rules listed for reference...
Lab Safety Rules:
- Follow directions.
- Come to lab prepared to perform the experiment.
- Follow all written and verbal instructions.
- When in doubt, ask.
- Absolutely no horseplay.
- Be alert and attentive at all times. Act like an adult.
- Report all accidents, injuries or breakage to the instructor immediately. Also, report any equipment that you suspect is malfunctioning.
- Dress appropriately. Avoid wearing overly-bulky or loose-fitting clothing, or dangling jewelry that may become entangled in your experimental apparatus. Pin or tie back long hair and roll up loose sleeves.
- Use goggles:
- when heating anything.
- when using any type of projectile.
- when instructed to do so.
- Use equipment with care for the purpose for which it is intended.
- Do not perform unauthorized experiments. Get the instructor's permission before you try something original.
- Be careful when working with apparatus that may be hot. If you must pick it up, use tongs, a wet paper towel, or other appropriate holder.
- If a thermometer breaks, inform the instructor immediately. Do not touch either the broken glass or the mercury with your bare skin.
- Ask the instructor to check all electrical circuits before you turn on the power.
- When working with electrical circuits, be sure that the current is turned off before making adjustments in the circuit.
- Do not connect the terminals of a battery or power supply to each other with a wire. Such a wire will become dangerously hot.
- Return all equipment, clean and in good condition, to the designated location at the end of the lab period.
- Leave your lab area cleaner than you found it.